Party wall surveys

Independent Advice on Party Wall Disputes

A Party Wall separates buildings belonging to different owners.

A Party Wall Surveyor manages and resolves disputes between neighbours when there has been a proposal for building work to a party wall, or within the specified distance of a neighbour’s property.

Pary wall surveys

If you’re planning to carry out any building work near or on a shared property boundary, you will need to notify your neighbours. You do not need to tell them about any minor, non-intrusive works and they cannot prevent you from making legal changes to your property. They can however affect how and when work is able to take place.

Not sure when to approach a Party Wall Surveyor?

If you are looking to begin work on a party wall, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Provide the concerning neighbours with written notice 2-12 months prior to the work with details of your proposed changes.

2. Your neighbours will need to respond to your notice within 14 days, providing either their agreement or dispute.

3. If you and your neighbour are unable to agree, you will need to appoint a party wall surveyor; that’s where we can help at Stephen Hodge Associates.

How can Stephen Hodge Associates help?

We can provide advice and implement works to comply with the Party Wall etc Act 1996. We can undertake negotiation with owners and neighbours and help you through the legal minefield of construction, near and over boundaries e.g. basements, loft conversions and extensions. We are sensitive to the need of maintaining good relationships with your neighbours and, whenever possible, limit disagreement.

We are often appointed as an ‘Agreed Surveyor’ which can avoid the additional cost having to appoint two party wall surveyors between yourselves. If you have a project where you would like to build close to or on the boundary, our professional advice can make all the difference and maximise the use of your property.

Alternatively, if your neighbour recently obtained planning permission for a party wall and you would like some advice, please get in touch.

Back to Surveying