Stephen Hodge Associates LTD

Party Wall Surveys

Independent Professional Advice on Party Wall Disputes

About Our Service

Party Wall Disputes

A Party Wall separates buildings belonging to different owners.

A Party Wall Surveyor manages and resolves disputes between neighbours when there has been a proposal for building work to a party wall, or within the specified distance of a neighbour’s property.

If you are planning to carry out any building work near or on a shared property boundary, you will need to notify your neighbours. You do not need to tell them about any minor, non-intrusive works and they cannot prevent you from making legal changes to your property. They can however affect how and when work is able to take place.

Not sure when to approach a Party Wall Surveyor?


If you are looking to begin work on a party wall, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Provide the relevant neighbours with prior written notice, 1-2 months depending on the works proposed, with full details of your proposed changes.

2. Your neighbours will need to respond to your notice within 14 days, providing either their agreement or dispute.

3. If you and your neighbour are unable to agree, you will need to appoint a Party Wall Surveyor, we at Stephen Hodge Associates Ltd. can assist you.


How can Stephen Hodge Associates Ltd help?


We can provide advice and implement works to comply with the Party Wall etc Act 1996. We can undertake negotiation with owners and neighbours and help you through the legal minefield of construction, near and over boundaries e.g. basements, loft conversions and extensions. We are sensitive to the need of maintaining good relationships with your neighbours and, whenever possible, limit disagreement.

We are often appointed as an ‘Agreed Surveyor’ which can avoid the additional cost of having to appoint two Party Wall Surveyors between yourselves. If you have a project where you would like to build close to or on the boundary, our professional advice can make all the difference and maximise the use of your property.

Alternatively, if your neighbour recently obtained planning permission for a party wall and you would like some advice, please get in touch.

Expert Witness

At Stephen Hodge Associates our professional Expert witness service supports you in resolving a property dispute.

Domestic Surveys

Our detailed surveys provide essential expert advice to allow you to make an informed decision giving you confidence and peace of mind.

Structural Surveys

Very often the need for a Structural Report only arises when the property owner finds areas of concern. We can inspect, diagnose and provide a detailed inspection and report on the elements of a building.

Get In Touch

Let's talk about how we can help you

Trusted Property Experts

Please call us on the number below or simply fill in our contact form to make an enquiry and obtain Prompt, Professional, Property Advice

Contact Us

Telephone: 01993 705765

Fax: 01993 705339


Company No: 05164154

Find Us

Stephen Hodge Associates Limited
Registered Office The M Group 4 Witan Way, Witney, Oxfordshire OX28 6FF


© Stephen Hodge Associates 2019. Website by mtc